Thursday, May 9, 2013

Reflection of Comprehension Strategy Lesson Plans

My Comprehension Strategy Lesson Plan was an Introduction to Series. I used a warm up activity with making a sequence out of the number of cards in each row of a house of cards, and then found sums of rows to begin working with how series are used. I then had a dense chunk of text to read, which I made a graphic organizer in order to break the text into manageable chunks and digest the information. I found that the lesson went really well. The amount of text was an effective amount, and the organizer was a fun way to take notes and have everyone following along. If I were presenting this lesson again, I would possibly make a stronger emphasis on the series work that is done in the warm up. I would possibly go back to the warm up after the reading, and the students have written the definitions for the vocabulary, and have the students identify which are partial sums and which is the sum of the series. However, I think that the comprehension strategy part went smoothly, and I would definitely use a graphic organizer web like that again to tackle dense text and digest new vocabulary. The graphic organizers could even be sent home to guide students with readings that students could do prior to class, and allow more time to apply their vocabulary knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment